If you've ever wondered if there is someone out there who teaches entrepreneurship in a way that makes sense to misfits like you......
If you've ever felt paralyzed when it comes to working on your business...because too much info...
If the thought of numerous online marketing strategies, promises, and celebrating big launches gives you headaches...because where do I start...
If building a profitable personal brand, writing impactful copy, and being profitable leaves you gasping for air...because omg no time for them all...
If you have wanted to do life with someone JUST LIKE YOU...someone who understands the frustration of online business...someone who won't settle for "normal"...
You've come to the right place.
I’m Margaret Olat and I'm a...misfit.
I write about the intersection between creativity, passion, & profit.
I help passionate & creative entrepreneurs uncover genius ideas, identify what to sell, and design their offers.
I'm also a registered nurse (MSN, RN, PHN) at a downtown research & teaching hospital in Minneapolis MN, USA. That's right, I won't tell you to quit your day job.
I'm a published author: I wrote a book on transitioning from college into the corporate world. You can find it here on Amazon.
I also contributed to this bestselling book on getting a job as an immigrant in the United States. You can get it here on Amazon.
I used to be a copywriter and ghostwriter for online entrepreneurs.
My articles have been featured on The Huffington Post, Adapt Magazine, Thrive Global, UYD Media, Career Contessa, Cheeky Scientist, Minnesota State University Moorhead, and I've been mentioned/or retweeted by John Hopkins Alumni and Problogger.
Don't let these impress you...I do fail. And quite often too!
When I was 24 years old, I walked into the recruiter's office to interview for a position I’d been eyeing. I was just finishing up an internship as a Benefits Services Intern for a large healthcare benefits company in the Fargo-Moorhead community and was hoping to transition into a full-time role as a Benefits Specialist.
Then came the question of where I saw myself in the next 5 years.
"Margaret, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?"
Wanna know how I answered the question above?
"I'm passionate about public health. I want to build one of the largest hospitals in Nigeria so that my people can have world-class treatment whenever they need it...without giving up an arm or leg. In fact, I'm going back to school for my masters in nursing degree!" *insert passionate tone*
I didn't get the job, lol. They weren't looking for a hospital administrator...they wanted a Benefits Specialist who'd type away at the computer for 8 hours! And I wasn’t about that life. 😂
I've taken lots of detours to be where I am now. From being an online magazine publisher (Rest in peace, Worship & Swag), career coach, church leadership specialist...I've tried them all.
I believe that you have the right to pivot: rethink your goals in life, to walk away from what drains you, and to seek spiritual alignment to your calling.
These are the things that I believe
- I believe that ego is the enemy. Never stop listening, asking, serving, and evolving.
- I believe that you have the right to creative freedom: to do the things that light you up and fuel your creative instincts.
- That hustle is defined by the season you’re in. There is a season to plant, to harvest, and to multiply.
- I believe in your ability to forgive yourself and set yourself free from your past failures.
- I believe that you have the right to pivot: rethink your goals in life, to walk away from what drains you, and to seek spiritual alignment to your calling.
- I believe in the freedom to scale your business whenever you want, however you want.
- I believe in pressure-free sales: the right to ask for what your time is worth and make a living doing what you love.
Kind words from people who know me
“A SECRET WEAPON AND A MASTER OF WORDS!”
Margaret is my secret weapon and a master of words! She helped me snatch my dream opportunity as a blogger for The Huffington Post! I'm so grateful - Lillian Okoye, Business Strategist and Coach for aspiring entrepreneurs.
"AN ENLIGHTENING EXPERIENCE"
I must say, working with you was really enlightening for me because although I already knew what a sales page was and had read some articles on how to put one together, I still didn’t know how or where to start from. You did not only help me put together a killer sales page but you also helped me see why it is really important to craft one for your service or product - Cassie Daves, Medical Doctor and Creative Entrepreneur.
When I’m not writing, you’ll find me…
- Loving coffee! Coffee shops, coffee pots, anything coffee.
- Studying languages, local and foreign places. I’m currently on the mission to become fluent in Mandarin Chinese in 12 months. 7 years ago, I was the envy of my peers; I could speak, write, and read Chinese characters. However, I let the hustle take all that away from me.
- Listening to music: I don’t have a specific genre that I like. However, I find myself jamming to Christian music, Kpop, Mandopop, and certain jazz songs with singers who remain unknown (my fault).
- Eating food: …….food.
- Thinking about travel: It is my hope and dream to one day tour all of Asia.
Ready to do entrepreneurship without the stress and overwhelm?
Get FREE access to the Creative Entrepreneur's toolkit for resources on how to grow your online business.