When I was 24 years old, I walked into the recruiter's office to interview for a position I’d been eyeing. I was just finishing up an internship as a Benefits Services Intern for a large healthcare benefits company in the Fargo-Moorhead community and was hoping to transition into a full-time role as a Benefits Specialist.
Then came the question of where I saw myself in the next 5 years.
"Margaret, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?"
Wanna know how I answered the question above?
"I'm passionate about public health. I want to build one of the largest hospitals in Nigeria so that my people can have world-class treatment whenever they need it...without giving up an arm or leg. In fact, I'm going back to school for my masters in nursing degree!" *insert passionate tone*
I didn't get the job, lol. They weren't looking for a hospital administrator...they wanted a Benefits Specialist who'd type away at the computer for 8 hours! And I wasn’t about that life. 😂
This site exists to chronicle my journey to discovering my purpose, creating my legacy, and inviting you to do the same.
If you've ever wondered if there is anything worth living for other than your day job or night job...
If you've ever wondered if you could become someone great and how to be great...
If you've ever wondered if there is someone out there who teaches entrepreneurship in a way that makes sense to misfits like you...
If you have wanted to do life with someone JUST LIKE YOU...someone who won't settle for "normal"...
You've come to the right place.
I’m Margaret Olat
I'm a registered nurse (MSN, RN, PHN) at a downtown research & teaching hospital in Minneapolis MN, USA.
I'm a published author: I wrote a book on transitioning from college into the corporate world. You can find it here on Amazon.
I also contributed to this bestselling book on getting a job as an immigrant in the United States. You can get it here on Amazon.
I used to be a copywriter and ghostwriter for online entrepreneurs. For online entrepreneurs: I'm working on releasing a book on "How to launch your sales page" soon.
My articles have been featured on The Huffington Post, Adapt Magazine, Thrive Global, UYD Media, Career Contessa, Cheeky Scientist, Minnesota State University Moorhead, and I've been mentioned/or retweeted by John Hopkins Alumni and Problogger.
Don't let these impress you...I do fail. And quite often too!
I've taken lots of detours to be where I am now. From being an online magazine publisher (Rest in peace, Worship & Swag), career coach, church leadership specialist...I've tried them all.
I believe that you have the right to pivot: rethink your goals in life, to walk away from what drains you, and to seek spiritual alignment to your calling.
These are the things that I believe
- I believe that you have the right to creative freedom: to do the things that light you up and fuel your creative instincts.
- That hustle is defined by the season you’re in. There is a season to plant, to harvest, and to multiply.
- I believe in your ability to forgive yourself and set yourself free from your past failures.
- I believe that you have the right to pivot: rethink your goals in life, to walk away from what drains you, and to seek spiritual alignment to your calling.
- I believe in the freedom to scale your business whenever you want, however you want.
- I believe in pressure-free sales: the right to ask for what your time is worth and make a living doing what you love.
Kind words from people who know me
“A SECRET WEAPON AND A MASTER OF WORDS!”
Margaret is my secret weapon and a master of words! She helped me snatch my dream opportunity as a blogger for The Huffington Post! I'm so grateful - Lillian Okoye, Business Strategist and Coach for aspiring entrepreneurs.
"AN ENLIGHTENING EXPERIENCE"
I must say, working with you was really enlightening for me because although I already knew what a sales page was and had read some articles on how to put one together, I still didn’t know how or where to start from. You did not only help me put together a killer sales page but you also helped me see why it is really important to craft one for your service or product - Cassie Daves, Medical Doctor and Creative Entrepreneur.
When I’m not writing, you’ll find me…
- Loving coffee! Coffee shops, coffee pots, anything coffee.
- Studying languages, local and foreign places. I’m currently on the mission to become fluent in Mandarin Chinese in 12 months. 7 years ago, I was the envy of my peers; I could speak, write, and read Chinese characters. However, I let the hustle take all that away from me.
- Listening to music: I don’t have a specific genre that I like. However, I find myself jamming to Christian music, Kpop, Mandopop, and certain jazz songs with singers who remain unknown (my fault).
- Eating food: …….food.
- Thinking about travel: It is my hope and dream to one day tour all of Asia.
Ready to restart this journey of purpose?
Be my email buddy. I share some of the best content on the internet with my squad.